These services generally fall under three categories:
- Home Helper
- Personal Care
- Specialized Care
Companionship services are those that stimulate, encourage and assist an individual.The primary responsibilities of Companionship services include the following:
- Providing companionship and conversation
- Providing stabilization and assistance with walking
- Preparing meals and cleaning up meal-related items
- Providing medication reminders and appointment reminders
Home Helper services generally involve light housekeeping, errands or incidental transportation.The primary responsibilities of Home Helper services include the following:
- Performing light housekeeping tasks (dusting, vacuuming, making beds, changing linens, cleaning bathrooms, kitchens, etc.)
- Washing and ironing laundry
- Running errands
- Accompanying clients to appointments
Personal Care services are personal in nature and often include assistance with activities of daily living.The primary responsibilities of Personal Care services include the following:
- Assisting with bathing
- Assisting with grooming
- Assisting with toileting and incontinence issues
- Conducting frequent care-planning assessments to identify new challenges and provide solutions.
- Accompanying a client on doctor visits to be the family's eyes and ears when they need a respite.
- Providing family education and support so families can learn about aging and use effective techniques with their loved one.
- Assist with medication administration, wound care, and home dialysis, among other services
- Provide hospice and palliative care to assist clients through end of life in the home setting.
In addition, Specialized Services may include more skilled, home health-adjacent services to assist a client to remain safely in their home as their health declines or through end of life. Specialized services may include RN delegated tasks such as:
- Medication management and administration
- Diabetic/glucose testing management
- Wound care
- Incontinence care/catheter care
- Feeding tubes
- Oxygen therapy
- Vital signs tracking and interpreting
- Foot and nail care
- Physical therapy/physiotherapy
- Home dialysis
Secondary responsibilities include the following:
- Contributing to a positive living environment to enhance a client’s quality of life
- Performing other reasonable duties as assigned
- Reporting hours according to office policy
- Reporting any significant changes in a client’s needs or living conditions
- Regularly communicating with supervisor and office staff
Each Home Instead franchise is independently owned and operated.