The Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the clinical services at San Juan Regional Medical Center in Farmington, New Mexico. The CNO creates and maintains an environment where the Mission, Vision, and Core Values of the organization can be fulfilled by highly engaged nursing professionals providing personalized, high quality patient care.
Under the direct supervision of the CEO, the CNO is responsible for providing, managing and supervising the clinical staff, ensuring that the competency, numbers, and staff levels are appropriate to meet the immediate and complex needs of patients. The CNO is responsible for promoting the overall quality of nursing care. In conjunction with the professional staff the CNO plans, coordinates, manages, and evaluates clinical programs and services of the facility promoting a team approach to the delivery of patient care provided by the facility. A strong community focus calling for regular face-to-face communication with physicians, the community, the board and staff is critically important.
- Operations Management: Defines and implements operational standards, policies and procedures that address how nursing care needs of the patient population are assessed, met and evaluated. Collects and analyzes data from internal and external sources regarding current way of doing business and clinical processes. Conducts needs analysis, identifies and prioritizes needs, applies good problem solving skills to improve operations. Actively participates in monthly operations review call.
- Safety and Quality of Care: Promotes quality by incorporating current nationally recognized professional standards and other expert literature into policies and procedures governing the provision of nursing care, treatment and services. Encourages the identification of alternate processes and potential solutions and acts to implement changes to resolve identified problems, improve safety and quality of care and maintain patient rights.
- Financial Management: Oversees the preparation and management of sound operating, special project and capital budgets for nursing. Ensures the utilization of appropriate productivity measures and nursing support of revenue cycle needs. Meets budget-critical financial metrics. Provides stewardship of all financial resources. Actively participates in bi-weekly productivity call.
- Human Resources: Determines staffing requirements and ensures the availability of adequate numbers of competent staff (including contract labor) that are properly credentialed, educated, trained, motivated and engaged. Directs performance management systems including policies/practices for providing timely feedback, recognizing excellence and dealing with problem behavior and poor performance.
- Medical Staff: Collaborates with the Medical Staff to identify and resolve issues affecting the provision of nursing care and overall patient care in the Hospital. Fosters open and effective communication between patients, nursing and medical staff to resolve problems. Promotes harmonious relationships among nursing, medical staff, patients and the public.
- Vision and strategy setting: Establishes and communicates a clear and compelling vision. All stakeholders know the hospital's mission, vision, and priorities. Works with Board, senior management team, physicians and nursing staff to develop, implement, and update strategies and opportunities for growth and improvement to support the hospital's mission and respond to external and internal issues.
- High performance culture: Conveys hospital's values and acceptable behavior to all stakeholders through own actions. Creates an organizational climate that encourages teamwork, builds employee engagement, collaborates, accepts accountability, and produces quality results. Inspires individual and organizational excellence.
- Internal Communication and Relationship: Demonstrates effective interpersonal relations including influencing/persuading at all levels inside the hospital and corporation. Builds rapport and trust with team through frequent/timely communication. Develops and maintains effective medical staff relationships. Seeks input from stakeholders. Anticipates and addresses concerns. Contributes to the creation of a culture of communication.
- External Communication and Relationship: Works with community leaders as appropriate to assess community healthcare needs, build a positive hospital image and market hospital services. Actively participates in his/her community through civic and other service. Demonstrates appropriate political savvy, tact and diplomacy.
- Talent Development: Wants people to develop. Accurately assesses developmental needs and provides frequent feedback, coaching, and personal development opportunities. Faces up to performance and behavior problems quickly and directly. Does not shy from providing timely corrective feedback. Takes action promptly to remove talent that is non-responsive to coaching and developmental activity.
- Accountability: Sets clear, consistent goals and expectations. Holds self and others accountable for decisions and actions. Demands high performance. Is reliable, keeps commitments, and delivers results. Creates an ownership culture.
- Champion for Change: Speaks out for change and helps staff understand reasons for, and benefits from, change. Makes change real for individuals. Links change to work processes and involves stakeholders in the change process. Follows through on change initiatives. Communicates constantly with all affected by change.
Other General and Related Duties
- Is actively committed to quality of patient care, treatment, and services. Measures and reports quality results to hospital and corporate teams. Fosters continuous quality improvement. Participates in corporate-wide and hospital-based performance improvement activities.
- Is actively committed to providing excellent customer service. Strives to meet or exceed patient expectations/satisfaction in the performance of job functions.
- Is actively committed to meeting and/or exceeding physician expectations/satisfaction in the performance of job functions.
- Is actively committed to meeting and/or exceeding employee expectations/satisfaction in the performance of job functions.
- Retains all nursing related hospital accreditations, licensures and designations in good standing. Maintains compliance with all laws and applicable regulatory requirements. Acts promptly to comply with required changes.
Education And Experience
- Bachelor's Degree of Nursing from an accredited university program
- MSN or Masters in a related field (i.e. Healthcare Administration, Business Administration)
- Must possess and maintain current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of New Mexico (New Mexico is a compact state).
- A minimum of 3 years of direct patient care experience in an acute care setting is highly preferred
- Must show evidence of competency in supervising acute care patient care services through a minimum of 5+ years management/leadership experience
- Experience with mid-sized rural market
- Active in Nursing Leadership Development
Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to define realistic, specific goals and objectives and to prioritize objectives
- Strong self-motivation and accountability
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and relate well with others building trust, collaborative relationships with staff, peers, providers, vendors, community leaders, and academic partners.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Ability to manage people and work with them in such a manner as to build high morale and group commitments to goals and objectives
- Team orientation with the ability to work with all levels of management and respecting all differences
- Ability to identify and resolve operational and administrative problems
- Ability to work with Medicare system and be adaptable to changes
- Proficient PC skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Proficient knowledge to understand and apply the concepts and terminology unique to the healthcare industry
- Possess a strong customer orientation and philosophy
- Possess critical thinking skills
For more information about San Juan Regional Medical Center, please visit the website at https://www.sanjuanregional.com/
About San Juan Regional Medical Center:
San Juan Regional Medical Center (SJRMC) is located in the beautiful San Juan River Valley in northwest New Mexico. San Juan Regional Medical Center is a 194 bed, level III trauma center. As a non-profit, community owned hospital; SJRMC serves the Four Corners area of New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah. The SJRMC network includes an 18 bed rehabilitation hospital, San Juan Health Partners specialty clinics, heart center, outpatient rehabilitation care, outpatient diagnostic services, wound treatment, AirCare emergency service, a free standing cancer center, San Juan Regional Spine Center, and San Juan Regional Heart Center. We have expanded our clinics to provide services in Aztec, Cortez, and Bayfield. To learn more about SJRMC visit: https://www.sanjuanregional.com
About Farmington, NM:
Located in the northwest corner of the state, Farmington, New Mexico, is a wonderful place to live and do business. Farmington is part of San Juan County which covers 5,560 square miles and a population estimate of around 45,000. The shopping opportunities, progressive schools, state of the art medical facilities, scenic natural landscapes and friendly people are all reasons to love sunny Farmington, New Mexico. Farmington is a community that appeals to outdoor lovers and active families and is known for endless outdoor adventures and activities for all, such as hiking, biking, watersports, golf, off road ATV riding, fishing, kayaking and National Parks. There is plenty to do and see in the Farmington area. To learn more visit:
Benefits include a competitive salary, relocation package along with incentive compensation plan, 401(k) savings and match, and a comprehensive health and welfare benefits package.
In compliance with the emergency regulation issued by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and company policy, CHC and its affiliate companies require all employees to provide proof of full Covid-19 vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation as a condition of employment. As a result, these conditions must be met by the first date of employment.
CHC is a tobacco and drug free workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.