Under general direction, the COO assumes line responsibility and authority for the administrative direction, evaluation, and coordination of the functions and activities of assigned departments within the hospital, ensuring that operation objectives and results are in accord with the hospital’s overall needs. In the absence of the hospital CEO and/or as assigned, the COO represents the CEO in coordinating entire portions of the hospital’s organization, speaking and acting within the scope of objectives set forth in the practice and/or policy of the hospital.
- The COO provides administrative direction for operations of assigned departments and appraises the performance of the respective departments’ heads, including authority to hire and fire, but subject to the veto of the CEO.
- He/She communicates routinely with the CEO concerning policy recommendations and suggested courses of action pertinent to the efficient operation of assigned departments.
- He/She also implements new policies; disseminates pertinent information following administrative directives; and recommends improvement of hospital facilities in assigned areas, including construction or renovation of structures and purchase of new equipment.
- The COO promotes complete involvement of the departments’ heads in the preparation of the departments’ budgets and educates them in the importance of the budget, forecasting and planning process.
- He/She advises and makes recommendations to the CEO concerning budget, cost, and financial matters and encourages and assists department heads in establishing a measure of performance, increased productivity, quality improvement, cost controls, and maximum utilization of facilities.
- The COO advises the CEO where executive action is necessary to accomplish these goals and he/she plans the activities of the individual departments in relation to other hospital departments so as to obtain a better understanding of each others’ problems.
- The COO attends medical staff meetings and/or medical staff committee meetings, as assigned or requested, and informs the CEO of proceedings at the meetings attended and recommends action as necessary.
- He/She also represents the hospital by membership in related professional associations.