Performs a wide variety of customer service duties related to medical supplies, equipment, and products. Duties will be performed mainly in an office setting via fax or phone directly with customers, physician offices, facility case managers including hospitals and nursing homes. #CBQualifications
- Graduation from high school, or the equivalency, is required.
- Must possess a valid IL driver’s license and must be deemed as an acceptable driver in accordance with the MHS Fleet Safety Policy (five year MVR will be required).
- Two or more years experience in a Customer Service setting, or comparable external experience in home medical equipment is required.
- Keyboarding and basic computer skills are required. Experienced with Microsoft office products including outlook, word and excel is also required.
ResponsibilitiesGreets customers via phone and determines nature of inquiry. Assists customers with all product/service inquiries along with qualifications for specific services and products.Participate in assigned online and on-the-job training to learn basic medical terminology, product/equipment information, and insurance fundamentals.With assistance from other staff and manager, begins to develop knowledge of various medical products, equipment, supplies, and insurance coverage.Utilizes a variety of software systems to create/maintain electronic customer accounts. Documents and modifies customer, billing, and insurance information as required.Interprets doctors’ orders received via fax for medical equipment; determines and conveys the appropriate selection to the customer based on prescription and current insurance coverage. In the absence of doctor’s order(s), contacts medical providers to obtain dispensing approval and/or clarifies existing orders as needed.Ensure that each customer receives outstanding service by providing a friendly environment, which includes greeting and acknowledging every customer, maintaining solid product knowledge and all other aspects of customer service.Maintain an awareness of all promotions and advertisements.Provides product/equipment descriptions, usage, and coordinates the delivery or shipment.Contacts government payers along with private insurance carriers by phone or through the internet to determine insurance eligibility and verification of coverage for medical equipment and supplies.Prepares and/or receives payment through a credit card machine. Determines the applicable insurance coverage and collects customer co-payments at time services are rendered.Coordinates the delivery of medical equipment, supplies, and associated items at customer request or as business needs dictate (as required by work location).Conducts the necessary research to locate and price specialty items as needed.Identifies and explains situations to customers that require incurring out-of-pocket expense or possible insurance denial. Completes and files the required paperwork associated with these cases.Prepares work orders and coordinates their successful implementation with the appropriate internal and external resources.Rotates work settings (to include retail, office, phone, and/or hospital environments) as assigned by management or as otherwise required.Serves as a back-up for others, especially during times of special needs or staff absences.Provides training and educational experiences for lesser-experienced staff.May cross-train in other areas of intake as required covering business needs.Performs other related work as required or requested.
- Demonstrates a willingness to learn governmental and private insurance plan eligibility requirements and allowable reimbursements.
- Familiarity with medical terminology, diagnosis (ICD-10 CM) coding and HCPCS coding is preferred.
- Possesses good customer relation skills, listening, interpersonal, and analytical skills, and telephone etiquette.
- Demonstrates the ability to multi-task while working on multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Demonstrated proactive problem solving skills.