Empower Every New Yorker — Without Exception — to Live the Healthiest Life Possible
Come join the largest public hospital system in the nation! Every day, we work together to make an extraordinary difference in the health and well-being of each individual we serve without exception. Join our team and help us create a positive patient experience.
NYC Health + Hospitals provides essential inpatient, outpatient, and home-based services to more than one million New Yorkers every year in more than 70 locations across the city’s five boroughs.
Under general supervision of the Site Director of nursing or their designee, the Registered Nurse will deliver care to patients utilizing the nursing process of assessment, planning, intervention, implementation, and evaluation, in accordance with established philosophy. The registered nurse will collaborate with other professional disciplines to ensure effective patient care delivery and achievement of desired patient outcomes.
Dialysis Nurses provide care and support for patients suffering from acute and chronic renal (kidney) failure.
They assist pre- and during dialysis procedures, following physician orders.
- In addition to general nursing care, responsibilities of Dialysis Nurses include (but are not limited to):
- Primes dialyzer and bloodlines
- Records patients' medical information and vital signs
- Readies dialysis equipment
- Oversees the dialysis treatment from start to finish
- Cannulates accesses
- Demonstrates the ability to remove femoral shealths & administer medications, including thrombolytics
- Cleans and dresses permanent and temporary catheters
- Monitors patient and adjusts specialized equipment used on patients, and interprets and records information
- Identifies irregular dialysis reactions and notifies appropriate medical team members
- Secures blood works
- Teaches patients and significant others how to manage their illness, by explaining: post-treatment home care needs, diet/nutrition/exercise programs, self-administration of medication, if needed
- Maintains medical inventory
- Provides pre- and post procedure care to patients within the Hemodialysis Unit
- Performs other position-related duties as assigned, depending on assignment setting
- Ability to lift twenty (20) pounds. Moving, lifting or transferring of patients may involve lifting of up to fifty (50) pounds, as well as assist with weights of more than one-hundred (100) pounds.