Providing supports in Eugene, DSP’s in Lane County mostly work in 24-hour residential settings. DSP's will assist in the development and implementation of all support plans while ensuring that people with intellectual disabilities live their lives as they choose and participate within their community. DSP’s may also assist people with food preparation, personal health and hygiene needs, personal and household shopping, personal funds management and creating relationships with family and community members. Successful candidates will be ethical, patient, reliable, communicative, compassionate, adaptable, and able to work independently.
To be able to do this job, you must:
- Be able to regularly attend all training, team meetings, and scheduled shifts as outlined in the position acceptance.
- Be able to regularly lift a minimum of 25lbs. Depending on work location, some positions may require a higher lifting requirement.
- Have basic computer skills and be able to complete all required documentation via computer.
- Must be able prepare written reports using proper punctuation, spelling and grammar.
- Receive and maintain CPR, Oregon Intervention System (OIS), Bloodborne Pathogens, Mandatory Abuse Reporting certification, and other certifications required by the position, PCL, and other governing agencies.
- Complete all duties related to being a Mandatory Abuse Reporter.
- Be able to respond to emergency and/or crisis situations while on shift (may require physical intervention).
In this job you will:
- Promote and implement PCL’s mission in the lives of those we support.
- Provide a stable living environment by promoting and attending to the individual's right to respect and dignity, individual choice and input, and health and safety needs at all times.
- Maintain positive relationships with individuals supported, PCL team members, and others with whom you will interact.
- Act as a model for and advocate of individual’s rights and choices.
- Respect and maintain the confidentiality of the individuals’ supports.
- Be able to work unsupervised and alone with the individual(s) supported.
- Meet all deadlines as outlined.
- All employees are paid on a monthly basis.
- Wages are $13 an hour after successful completion of new hire training (minimum wage until completed). Some positions offer differentials.
- Full time employees (30 or more hours a week) are eligible for 401(K), Paid Time Off, Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance and Life Insurance coverage.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Possess a valid government issued photo ID, driver’s license preferred.
- Some positions require that you be able to meet agency insurance requirements to be able to drive. (Click here for driver eligibility guide.)
- Be able to pass a State/Federal background check. Fingerprints may be required. www.pclpartnership.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/BCUDisqualifyingCrimes.pdf">(Click here for link to current Potential Disqualifying Crimes and Conditions.)
- Pass a pre-employment drug screening for illegal substances.
- Pass a pre-employment computer skills assessment.
- Be able to regularly lift a minimum of 25 lbs. Depending on work location, some positions may require a higher lifting requirement.
Skills and Abilities:
- Able to schedule and coordinate multiple projects and follow through with completion.
- Utilize excellent interpersonal communication skills to work successfully with individuals supported, PCL team members, and others you may be required to interact with.
- Be well organized and attentive to detail.
- Be cooperative and willing to learn.
- Be able to operate all related computer applications and business machines.
- Must be able to interpret various verbal and written instructions.
- Must be able perform basic math skills.
- Must be able read a variety of books, magazines, instruction manuals and other related writings.
Training Requirements and Expectations:
- Attend a required Meet and Greet. This is the scheduled first day of work.
- Shadow shifts between Meet and Greet and Orientation Training.
- Attend a two week orientation training.
- Complete all classes and submit all documentation required during orientation.