Utilizing Valley Community Healthcare’s (VCH) Patient Centered Medical Home protocols, the Director of Behavioral Health will lead all of VCH’s Behavioral health clinical operations, address the current organizational needs for services, and develop strategy for future growth and expansion of the department to meet the changes in the healthcare system. In addition, the Director of Behavioral Health is responsible for review of department performance and will execute continuous quality improvement to address needs of the clinic. Furthermore, the Director will monitor, review, and manage the following: referral processes to ensure that patients receive services in a timely and efficient manner; the graduate social work intern program; and manage care related billing and reporting. The Director of Behavioral Health also serves as an integral member of the interdisciplinary care team which provides health care, health education, case management, and counseling to clients receiving clinic services. The primary responsibility of this position is to develop, implement, and supervise a behavioral health program that is integrated with our primary care services. The program must serve to help VCH patients understand and deal effectively with their social, emotional, and biological situations surrounding their life. More specifically the Director of Behavioral Health duties are as follows:
● Participates and develops strategic plans that further VCH organizational goals of Access, Quality, Leadership Development, and Sustainability.
● Leads and manages the day-to-day operations of the program to achieve and support strategic goals for VCH.
● Performs peer review on patient records from their department on a regular basis.
● Serves as a member of the Credentialing and Peer Review Committee and meets periodically to review proctor reports and cases where best practice standards may not have been met.
● Participates in the recruitment and interviewing of prospective providers and staff in the Behavioral Health department.
● Participates in introducing new providers to their clinic and onboarding process.
● Participates in evaluation, hiring, coaching, disciplining and termination in conjunction.
1. Patient services:
● Leads and facilitates implementation of patient centered medical home clinical protocols.
● Performs complete assessments and treatment plans for patients.
● Assesses and manages acute and chronic mental health conditions.
● Assists in training our medical, dental, and optometry providers in various topics such as integrated care, using and incorporating clinical behavioral screening, etc.
● Assists in preparation and selection of patient education materials
● Provides preliminary telephone consultation to patients, when needed. Leads staff in contacting patients for follow-up care as needed depending upon medical necessity or as part of clinic quality improvement projects.
● Helps coordinate efficient flow of patients through the system of care.
● Helps monitor status of referrals to the department.
● Maintains a personal case load and provides high quality direct services in the form of individual, family, group counseling, and crisis intervention.
● Identifies specific needs of individual patients and works in concert with other staff to meet those needs
● Provides effective customer care by maintaining open communication, and addresses problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable solutions
● Coordinates case conferences with pertinent case management team and clinical staff to identify specific client needs and develop individualized care plans to meet those needs, all the while monitoring and reassessing to insure appropriate intervention
2. Compliance: Ensures services provided comply with regulatory agency requirements, contractual obligations and funding sources.
● Performs/supervises functions, duties and services in compliance with regulatory agencies, contractual obligations and funding sources such as Los Angeles DMH, CHDP, Medi-Cal, HCLA, MHLA, and Medicare.
● Monitors and ensures compliance with clinical evidence based guidelines.
● Participates in the review, revision, and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure medical practices are in full compliance with regulatory requirements.
● Oversees the maintenance of records/documents in accordance with clinic policies and procedures, contractual obligations, regulations, and funding sources.
● Monitors strict adherence to: universal infection precautions as established by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention; Occupational Safety and Health Administration; DHS/OA; and clinic standards.
● Oversees adequate provider staffing for all clinical sessions and works with CMO in anticipation of future shortfalls.
● Helps onboard, train, coach, supervise, and discipline providers under direct supervision.
● Monitors providers’ productivity and quality of services.
● Responsible for monitoring and coaching providers to meet Quality Measure targets.
● Participates in Quality Assurance, peer review and maintains confidentiality.
● Participates in quality improvement, chart reviews, and process improvement programs both system wide and department specific.
● Leads department specific meetings and administrative tasks as assigned by CMO.
● Participates or collaborates with marketing and other health education staff on education and patient recruitment health fairs.
● Maintains current knowledge-base and appropriate licensure.
● Evaluates collaboration opportunities and develops referral relationships with external partners.
● Evaluates, trains, and monitors staff and interns in performing psychological services which will include techniques of interviewing, counseling, cultural influences, identification of problems and more.
● Hires, coaches, evaluate and disciplines, as appropriate, direct reports.
● Responsible for meeting productivity goals for all providers.
● Formulates and updates policies and procedures for the provision of clinical behavioral services at VCH, and ensures that behavioral health staff members, volunteers, and interns are adequately trained in the policies and procedure.
● Assists in the development of strategic initiatives for the department and VCH.
● Coordinates with the Director or Nursing on related nursing needs including support of clinical staff.
● Coordinates with COO on any issues or needs to improve operational flows.
● In partnership with the CMO, designs, implements, and re-evaluates ongoing clinical protocols to be followed in the clinic’s practice areas.
● Writes and delivers Annual Performance Appraisals.
● Develops and delivers in-services and other trainings for clinical staff.
● Prepares/reviews/approves monthly departmental clinician schedule. Responsible for approving all time off requests in compliance with VCC Policies and Procedures.
● Ensures compliance with license requirements as stated in Title 22.
● Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
● Creates and maintains effective interpersonal relationships with all employees; keeps employees informed of changes which may affect the work environment.
● Communicates effectively with all levels of staff throughout the clinic by consistently utilizing and facilitating effective strategies to encourage collaborative problem solving and decision making.
● Trouble shoots difficult problems or situations and takes independent action to resolve them.
● Through teamwork and accountability exhibits behaviors and attitudes of courtesy and respect for all staff at the clinic in accordance with its mission and values.
● Establishes and maintains effective and positive working relationships with representative of outside agencies, government entities, vendors, as well as other clinical staff, volunteers, and staff; represents the clinic site when appropriate.
● Ensures patient confidentiality and demonstrates complete discretion when discussing patient information.
5. Fiscal management:
● Collaborates with the fiscal department to ensure timely and accurate completion of encounters.
● Completes documentation for clinic sessions in a timely manner ensuring accuracy and completeness to ensure the clinic can collect funds for the services.
● Utilizes financial reports to develop strategic plans so that the behavioral health department can maintain services in a financially responsible manner.
● Works with VCH financial department leaders to develop recruitment and retention plans based upon department performance data.
● Monitor contract/program expenditures and complete funding reports, as needed.