Eckerd Connects Candor Short-Term Residential
Eckerd Connects' Short-Term Juvenile Justice Residential program is a complete rehabilitative experience delivered in 4 to 6 months to 36 adjudicated male youth, ages 13 to 17, referred by the North Carolina Department of Public Safety Division of Juvenile Justice. This residential treatment concept combines promising and evidence-based practices with a strong family transition component, and signifies a public-private partnership with the Division of Juvenile Justice which has produced an innovative shift in the way youth are served in North Carolina's juvenile justice system. Intensive, short-term services include individualized treatment and academic plans that combine formal and experiential education, community service, behavioral health, and family counseling in a non-punitive environment designed to address the youth's behavioral challenges through a strength-based approach. Youth also receive accredited education on-site and work together in small group settings with assigned counselors.
Please follow the links for more information about this program:
Coordinate the development and implementation of the educational policies, program, curriculum activities, and budgets at the Candor and Boomer NC Residential Programs, in a manner that promotes the educational development of each student and the professional development of each staff member. Provide educational leadership to the Candor and Boomer NC Residential programs by establishing a continuous educational improvement planning process that focuses on improving student outcomes. Supervise the delivery of the Candor and Boomer NC Residential educational programs ensuring compliance with applicable policies, procedures, laws, standards and regulations promulgated by the NC Department of Public Instruction and alignment with Eckerd programs and organizational improvement plans.
Vision and Purpose
- Establish and communicate a shared vision, purpose, and direction for the Candor and Boomer NC Residential education programs that focuses on improving student outcomes and program effectiveness.
- Conceptualize the broad goals of the Candor and Boomer NC Residential education programs and plan, monitor, review and revise them accordingly.
- Coordinate development of facility-based policies and procedures used to carry out the daily routine of the Candor and Boomer NC Residential educational programs.
- Define responsibilities and accountability of teachers and education support staff at the Candor and Boomer NC Residential programs to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures, and applicable local, state, and federal laws, standards and regulations.
- Provide leadership and oversight to the Candor and Boomer NC Residential programs for state specific school approval and SACSCASI accreditation processes, as appropriate to each facility.
Curriculum and Instruction
- Coordinate the thematic integration of subject matter and supervise the implementation of the established curriculum based on clearly defined state standards at the Candor and Boomer NC Residential programs.
- Monitor the instructional programs at the Candor and Boomer NC Residential campuses to ensure a positive learning climate is established, students are actively engaged in meaningful and relevant activities, and instructional strategies and activities are research-based, reflective of best practice and differentiated to meet individual student needs.
- Work actively with instructional staffs at the Candor and Boomer NC Residential programs to coordinate the use of effective classroom management and organizational strategies to maximize time students are actively engaged in learning activities.
- Supervise the development, implementation, and revision of personal education plans at the Candor and Boomer NC Residential campuses for all program students, to include IEP’s, as required by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- Supervise the implementation of the Exceptional Student Education (ESE) programs at the Candor and Boomer NC Residential programs to ensure compliance with state and federal IDEA regulations.
- Coordinate with instructional and support staffs the administration of standardized and diagnostic testing, as required at the NC Boomer and Candor Residential campuses.
- Develop and implement a system at the Candor and Boomer NC Residential programs to monitor, document, and analyze student performance and outcome data, and use results to improve outcomes
- Establish effective interdepartmental collaboration to ensure integration of education throughout all elements of the Therapeutic Program.
- Establish and maintain positive and collaborative working relationships with students, parents, staff and community stakeholders to support student learning, to enhance the educational program, and to facilitate quality transitional services
- Provide leadership to the program’s process for establishing, implementing, and monitoring a continuous process of improvement that focuses on student performance.
Resources and Support Systems
- Assist in development, implementation, review and evaluation of Federal Programs (Title I, Title II, IDEA) and Grant Projects, as appropriate to facility.
- Assist in the preparation and administration of educational budgets; ensure necessary instructional materials, supplies and equipment are up-to-date, functional, appropriate for the purpose intended, and in sufficient numbers to support the educational program and implement its plans for improvement.
- Establish and supervise the maintenance of a secure, accurate, complete, and compliant student record keeping system that monitors student progress.
- Coordinate and supervise the maintenance of safe, clean, orderly, and engaging learning environments
- Providing support, mentoring, counseling, feedback, coaching and instruction to education staff in fulfilling their job responsibilities, to include the completion of annual performance appraisals.
- Provide activities that will facilitate the professional growth of the staff and enhance the quality of the instructional program.
- Participate in a continuous program of professional development that supports achievement of the program’s improvement goals.
- Complete all training, in-service and staff development requirements as set forth by Eckerd and it’s contracting, licensing, accrediting and state teacher certification agencies.
Other Duties Include, But Not Limited To
- Report any acts, incidents or conditions that reflect the possibility of inappropriate youth-to-youth or staff-to-youth relationships.
- Report any use of physical force and all unusual incidents per Eckerd policy and state guidelines.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: Master’s degree, from an accredited College or University, required in Education Leadership or Education Administration, Bachelor’s degree in Elementary or Secondary Education, Special Education, Curriculum and Instruction, or Counseling. North Carolina Standard Professional II teaching license required and Highly Qualified in a Middle or High School core subject area. Prefer Highly Qualified certification in Special Education.
Experience: Three to five years of successful teaching experience required, working with middle or high school students who were identified as at-risk, and/or having learning difficulties and/or special education needs. Prefer five years’ experience teaching and/or supervising other teachers.
Skills: Supervisory, analytical, excellent verbal and written communication, self-motivation, collaborative, resourceful, flexible, creative, objective, interpersonal skills initiative, problem solving, decision making, organization, planning and critical judgment skills. Basic skills instruction, development and use of learning and media centers, experiential and special education, and supervisory knowledge. Ability to learn and use various instructional technology software programs and equipment.
Other: Must interface effectively at all organization levels, commitment to professional standards and personal development. Must meet state criminal background check requirements.
Travel: Must be able to meet requirements for Eckerd’s Auto Insurance and be able to drive for business purposes. Must have and maintain appropriate and valid state driver’s license.
Physical Demands: Requires extended periods of walking/sitting/standing; Depending on the assigned program/facility, position may also occasionally expose incumbent to working outdoors for extended periods of time, and exposure to the elements; Incumbent may occasionally lift/move up to 25 pounds. Ability to restrain youth in accordance with approved techniques. Must be free of communicable diseases as defined by state and to the extent that knowledge is attainable under the law.
Eckerd wants your career to be as rewarding as possible. We provide our employees with numerous opportunities for growth, education, advancement, and the chance to contribute to business objectives. We offer competitive salaries and an excellent comprehensive benefits package including:
• Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Group Term Life and AD&D Insurance
• Voluntary term life insurance
• Paid short-term and long-term disability
• Professional group liability insurance
• 19 days of Paid Time Off the first year
• 8 paid holidays
• Flexible spending accounts
• Retirement savings plan with employer match up to 5%
• Mileage reimbursement
• Cell phone plan discounts
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Employee Referral Program
• Flexible work schedules
• Employee Wellness/Well-Being program