ConnectiCare is a leading health plan in the state of Connecticut. ConnectiCare’s mission is to make it easy for members to get the care they need. A local company for over 35 years, ConnectiCare has a full range of products and services for businesses, municipalities, individuals and those who are Medicare-eligible. A subsidiary of EmblemHealth, ConnectiCare leads the individual and small group markets in the state, and is ranked among the top commercial health plans in the nation, according to the National Committee for Quality Assurance.
We’re looking for individuals who want to make a difference in the communities we serve. If you want to join a local team and help change the way health care is delivered, ConnectiCare is the place for you.
Our summer interns participate in a 10 week program focused on personal and professional development. In addition to meaningful job responsibilities in their field of study, our interns are given opportunities to participate in: business overviews, team building activities, community service, senior leadership exposure, HR lunch and learns, and create/deliver presentations at the end of the program.
Purpose: The health educator intern supports clinical staff as they use a collaborative process of education, assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation, to engage, educate, and promote/ influence program participants in decisions related to achieving optimal health status. Health educator interns also support clinical staff as they conduct educational sessions based established program protocol, as well as providing personal health coaching according to population desires and needs.
- Support the delivery of established program curriculum in person at assigned onsite location(s) and/or during telephonic session engagement depending on participant preference
- Assists clinical staff in establishing a personalized plan of care based on participant’s health status/risks, education, and support needs.
- Using holistic approach to wellness, the health educator intern derives strategies to overcome participant barriers in meeting goals and objectives in Health programs.
- Supports the use of motivational interviewing skills to ensure maximum participant engagement and assists clinical staff with information and resources to empower participants to make ongoing independent healthy lifestyle choices.
- In conjunction with clinical staff uses clinical tools and information/data review, as well as knowledge and experience of lifestyle risk behaviors to conduct comprehensive evaluation of participant’s health status, health literacy, lifestyle risks and readiness to change as they relate to health programs.
- Displays ability to follow established program workflow related to documentation.
- Performs other duties as required.
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, & SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Engagement in a Bachelor’s Degree in health related field (e.g., Health Education, Wellness, Health Promotion) - Master’s Degree or Certified Health programs preferred.
- Experience with motivational interviewing, active listening skills, Transtheoretical Model, mindfulness based and other evidence-based coaching techniques preferred.
- Experience in wellness related areas such as weight management, nutrition, physical activity or health lifestyle behavior change preferred.
- Superior presentation skills required, including ability to deliver content in an engaging way and adapt to audience needs and/or questions preferred.
- Knowledge of facilitating patient/client positive behavioral change preferred.
- Hours maybe outside CCI hours or CMSI weekends or evenings possible.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Primarily sedentary
- Must be able to use standard office equipment.
ConnectiCare is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V
ConnectiCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.