ProPath, one of the largest completely physician owned pathology practices in the country, seeks an exceptional Histology Manager to join our thriving practice. We pride ourselves on our extremely friendly and family oriented work environment. Our employees are patient focused, accountable and help to create an atmosphere of teamwork. ProPath is a nationally recognized practice founded in 1966 and has nearly 50 physicians and PhD's on the team.
Days: Monday - Friday
Hours: 5:00 AM - 1:30 PM
Responsible for the staffing, management, planning, coordination, and evaluation of all technical and operational activities of the Histology Department. Ensure that Histology is operating efficiently and producing highest quality, in a safe environment and in a cost-effective manner. Ensure staff is competent and adequate for processing volumes. Troubleshoot quality and production issues: including stains, processes, systems, and equipment. Ensure equipment is maintained in operational condition. Develop and implement improvements in systems and processes for enhanced efficiency and quality while managing growth. Establish, monitor, and report key indicators of quality and process improvement. Implement and oversee training for all Histology functions. Ensure that all licensed ProPath facilities are always inspection ready. Oversees and maintains off-site frozen section locations in a constant state of readiness for ProPath pathologists’ use and inspection ready for CLIA.
- Maintain an in depth understanding of specimen workflow across multiple departments and shifts. Recognize and understand the effects and impacts of changes to workflow.
- Plan, assign, and direct work in the laboratory in close coordination with managers/supervisors of interrelated departments.
- Evaluate and ensure all laboratory processes operate at optimal efficiency and quality. Troubleshoot all Histology processes, equipment, and systems. Thoroughly investigate and resolve specimen issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Oversee quality and maintenance records for equipment.
- Identify and troubleshoot problem areas and develop recommendations and plans for solutions.
- Ensure Proficiency Testing is performed and resulted on-time and that any identified issues are addressed.
- In consultation with the Director, redesign work processes and establish/report operating and process improvement indicators to effectively manage growth and improve efficiency and quality. Identify future needs of facilities, processes, equipment, and staff. Prepare appropriate documentation and justification.
- Maintain membership and participate in related professional organizations, keeping abreast of innovations and maintaining a high level of scientific competence in the field of Histology.
- Monitor industry trends and innovations in technology; identify equipment and automation solutions to improve quality and efficiency.
- Evaluate new products and systems, as they become available.
- Oversee inventory and ordering of Histology supplies.
- Vendor negotiation for competitive pricing of supplies and equipment.
- Effectively maintain areas of responsibility in constant state of inspection readiness, ensuring that standard operating procedures (SOPs) accurately reflect the current processes.
- Oversee Histology staffing. Maintain quality staffing by interviewing, hiring, coaching, training, assessing competency, reviewing performance, counseling, and employment termination.
- Mentor and support employees in their responsibilities and functions, ensuring appropriate training in technical and other required skills.
- Delegate duties when appropriate and ensure understanding of assigned duties.
- Oversight and approval of department work schedule designed to meet business need.
- Ensure understanding and compliance with company and department policies and procedures. Inform employees of relevant matters including company business policies and procedures.
- Meet periodically with department employees covering process changes, safety training, regulation compliance and integrity issues, and other appropriate issues.
- Provide a harmonious, motivating work environment and accurate feedback to employees on performance.
- Keep the Director advised of the status of personnel, procedures, workload, etc. Incorporate staff, expertise, and ideas into daily operations.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Maintain compliance with company and department policies and procedures.
- Maintain compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Maintain confidentiality of employee, patient, client and/or company records and issues.
- Communicate effectively with all levels of management, co-workers, and clients to provide quality customer service.
- Maintain a professional appearance through adherence to company approve dress code and laboratory safety requirements.
- Work overtime and flexible hours as needed.
EDUCATION AND KNOWLEDGE:
Bachelor’s degree in a chemical or biological science or medical laboratory
- Strong scientific knowledge of Histology required.
- HT or HTL (ASCP) certification required.
- Electron Microscopy experience helpful.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in process improvement workflow design preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in analyzing and troubleshooting complex Histology processes. Able to establish new stains and processes. Fully versed in the validation of new equipment and testing.
- Demonstrated expertise with special/complex stains and specimen processing.
- Supervisory experience in a high volume anatomic pathology laboratory.
A minimum of eight years of Histology laboratory experience with at least 6 years of supervisory experience after completion of degree.
COMPLEXITY OF DUTIES:
Duties require excellent judgment and problem-solving skills for complex processes. Must supervise many employees with diverse backgrounds and job skills. Must have a thorough understanding of quality and continuous process improvement. Must be an effective multi-tasker with strong attention to detail.
Salary commensurate with background and experience. Benefits include medical, dental, profit sharing, a matched 401K plan and more. Be a part of the nation’s premier pathology practice. EOE M/F/Disabled/Veteran Accessibility AccommodationsEqual Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)