Job Title: Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)
Reports To: Director of Nursing
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Department: Medical Services
Summary: This is a position under the direction of the Director of Nursing which involves managing medication procedures, providing general health care monitoring / screening of all residents as well as providing direct resident care.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Report to the Director of Nursing (DON) on a daily basis.
● Work side by side with physician and nurse practitioner.
● Reports all medication errors / incidents to the Director of Nursing.
● Reviews all telephone orders to ensure accuracy of transcription, screen for possible drug interactions, check method of payment on prescriptions and mails out orders to be signed.
● Maintain all labs, tests, and x-rays to ensure that they are properly put into place and followed through on if needed.
● Maintains and enforces a system of medication ordering, storage, preparation, administration, control and use which is consistent with regulatory requirements and facility policies/procedures.
● Ensures that medication and nursing procedures are carried out with safety, efficiency and regard for resident’s needs and rights, through ongoing direction and supervision of CMT/CMA performance.
● Communicates with the Personal Care Manager to promote effective integration of services and continuity of care.
● Monitors storage and use of controlled medications and reviews records to ensure that the count is reconciled.
● Assist with scheduling patient appointments for all residents.
● Provides direct supervision of CMTs / CMAs.
● Enforces personnel policy as pertains to CMT’s / CMA’s, in consultation with the Personal Care Manager.
● Orients and trains new CMT’s / CMA’s in conjunction with the Director of Nursing.
● Manages medical records and ensures that charts are in compliance with regulatory requirements.
● Perform all other duties as required.
All duties listed are essential unless otherwise noted.
● Direct Med Room staff if needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Maintain Highest Degree of Confidentiality
Oral Communication Skills
● Must be currently licensed by the state of Missouri as a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse.
● Prior experience with the mentally ill or demonstrable knowledge of psychotropic drugs preferred.
● Personal characteristics must include being responsible, dependable, mature, trustworthy and flexible.
● Prior supervisory experience preferred.