Provides emergency psychiatric and substance abuse assessment, diagnosis, and crisis intervention to patients/families identified by the Emergency Department or Medical floor as having psychiatric and/or substance abuse consultation needs. This may include referral and placement at inpatient facilities or outpatient discharge planning with patients/families. Provides a comprehensive first evaluation for patients in the involuntary commitment process.
Behavioral Health responsibilities in this role may include: group therapy; completing Psychosocial Assessments; facilitating individual and /or family therapies; developing, implementing and reviewing treatment plan; case management discharge planning. Additional Social Worker duties may include facilitation of smooth transition for patients from one level of care to another using available resources.
1. Provides behavioral health assessment, in partnership with the ED physician, to patients who present to the Emergency Department including recommendations for level of care needs
2. Completes comprehensive first evaluations for patients under Involuntary Petition
3. Facilitates disposition to inpatient Behavioral Health units as appropriate
4. Coordinates/Develops appropriate safety plan/measures if patient’s plan is to be discharged to the community
5. Provides brief, solution-focused interventions to patients with the goal of assisting in stabilizing crisis
6. Provides information to hospital staff related to community resources and behavioral health processes. Coordinates with outpatient Behavioral Health service providers to create continuity of care including securing outpatient appointments as necessary.
7. Completes behavioral health consultations with patients that present for medical services throughout the hospital system either in person or by use of telemedicine equipment
8. Assists Providers: Psychosocial Assessments; Discharge planning; Treatment plan development and review; Group therapy; and Individual therapy.
9. Monitors compliance with standards of care for patients with behavioral health needs in the Emergency Department. This includes making recommendations related to maintaining a safe environment of care and level of observation needs of the patient.
10. Actively participates in data collection for patients with behavioral health needs
11. Knowledgeable of community agency resources and able to facilitate processes involved in obtaining the same.
12. Able to provide patients/families with information regarding available financial assistance options, i.e. Medicare, Medicaid, etc. Facilitate referrals for financial assistance by providing names and numbers of contact persons and locations.
13. Knowledgeable of available support groups in the area and able to supply information as needed.
14. Provides concise and informative documentation in the medical record regarding patient, family or physician encounters, services or resources provided or information given regarding these.
15. Assists with transfer arrangements for case management patients.
16. Provides input into resource utilization and appropriate care settings.
17. Maintains positive working relations with Behavioral Health, skilled care, long term care, rehab, nursing home facilities as well as home health and durable medical agencies.