Full time Brooklyn
Provides an exceptionally high level of care for its clients and has a very well respected staff and use cutting edge health technology
Tired of working long shifts with an overwhelming patient load? Come work with an organization where you can make a difference, working with a smaller number of patients for reasonable hours.
Work for a not-for-profit and a pioneer in providing cutting edge programs and services for people with disabilities. Every day, we build a more inclusive world for thousands of New Yorkers through education, technology, health, residential and recreational programs in all five boroughs.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Under general direction, is responsible for evaluating and treating students to facilitate rehabilitation and independence in daily living skills of physically and/or mentally disabled students. Is responsible for providing evaluation and therapy to students pursuant to the Individual Family Service Plan, Individual Education Plan or Interim Individual Education Plan and in accordance with agency policies, regulations and requirements of applicable regulatory agencies and standards of profession. Participates in consultative process with parents and team members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The duties and responsibilities of the Occupational Therapist- Children's Services will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Evaluates students referred to program to establish learning and performance capabilities. Develops a treatment plan to attain established goals working within scope of student's functional level. Evaluation includes activities of daily living (feeding, dressing, grooming, hygiene, transfers), fine motor and gross motor skills, sensory awareness, perceptual motor skills, homemaking and independent living skills.
- Develops a treatment plan and goals based on assessment.
- Maintains daily and monthly attendance records.
- Ensures individuals receive services appropriate to their needs and consistent with educational goals and regulatory requirements.
- Selects educational, recreational and social activities in order to aid students in adjusting to their functional level. Teaches adaptive skills necessary to perform daily living and/or vocational tasks.
- Provides and participates in in-service education for other personnel relevant to techniques and objectives of program.
- Serves and participates as a member of interdisciplinary team at team meetings, Annual Reviews, Case Presentations, In-Services, etc. as required by each program.
- Integrates therapeutic intervention techniques into programs or home of students served through consultation with parent/Client and staff at team meetings, case conferences or through other informal contacts. Assists in overall rehabilitation of student's medical/psychiatric condition. Documents therapy activities and results in student's records and periodic reports.
- Records progress on all active cases in therapy, monitors therapy status, and makes appropriate recommendations as changes occur.
- Refers students to other clinical services if such referral is felt appropriate.
- Designs, makes and fits adaptive devices for students use such as splints or braces.
- Participates in Initial Evaluation and Intake processes.
- Completes all required documentation in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Assists with other duties such as arrival, dismissal, feeding, bathrooming, classroom management as directed.
- Provides supervision to Occupational Therapy students and Occupational Therapy Assistants as needed.
- Maintains equipment and orders supplies as required.
- Performs other related duties as requested.