To provide proper ordering and receiving with in house lab and all reference accounts. To keep up with supplies and specimen storage containers. To provide technologists up to date with proper handling of specimens prior to shipping. This person should update the courier on any changes or comments about the specimen collection. To maintain and update catalogs for all test which are referred. This person will also perform modify laboratory test within the main lab.
Action Oriented -- Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy and enthusiasm.
Collaborate -- Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Customer Focus -- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
Nimble Learning -- Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Demonstrates Self-Awareness -- Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
Communicates Effectively -- Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Decision Quality -- Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- OBTAINS BLOOD SPECIMENS AND COLLECTS NON-BLOOD SPECIMENS FOR LABORATORY TESTING:
- Verifies positive patient identifications.
- Performs venipuncture and finger sticks using aseptic technique and in accordance with procedures. Observes hospital isolation procedures.
- Ensures that specimen requirements are met at the time of collection and maintain specimen integrity.
- Coordinates the collection of therapeutic drug-monitoring assays with nursing personnel to ensure the proper drug dose to collection time.
- Coordinates special laboratory studies with Ambulatory Services and/or Pharmacy. Administers oral test solutions.
- Initials, dates, and times all collections. Performs collection verification procedures for specimens collected.
- Observes patient precautions and rights. PERFORMS SCREENING TESTS AND REPORTS RESULTS:
- Performs bleeding time tests. Notifies the pathologist of any results falling outside normal range.
- Performs PKU test collection.
- Performs Sweat Chloride Testing.
- Assists in Bone Marrow Procedures.
- Therapeutic Phlebotomies.
- Stimulation tests.
- Skin Tests.
- Glucose Tolerance Test, Insert Hep-loc.
- ACCESSIONS AND PROCESSED SPECIMENS TO PREPARE THEM FOR LABORATORY TESTING Label specimens with computer labels and performs collection verify procedures.
- Verifies specimen integrity and adheres to established procedures for rejection of unacceptable specimens.
- If trained, will admit the patient in HBO and order the tests as required (this is mostly pertained to the outpatient admitting area).
- ABILITY TO OPERATE LIS COMPUTER SYSTEM:
- Log in received specimens.
- Hourly collection/unreceived lists.
- Uses correct codes when ordering tests.
- Reprinting collection labels.
- Downtime slips and procedures.
- CONTRIBUTES TO THE GENERAL LABORATORY FUNCTIONS AND INSTITUTIONAL NEEDS:
- Attends regular department staff meetings and in-service training.
- Maintains compliance with laboratory and hospital policies and procedures, as well as safety practices.
- Keeps work area neat and clean, and restocks daily supplies.
- Communicates patients needs back to management.
- Communicates patients needs to co-workers.
- Always demonstrates courteous and polite manor towards patients, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Communicates any personal needs to management, (i.e.: time off).
- If trained, perform EKG in the outpatient admitting area when required
- Quick response to stats and different codes like 'Dr. Heart'.
- Keeps supplies put up and stocked.
- Answers telephone takes messages, routes calls.
- A. Education/Skills:
- B. Experience:
- C. Licenses, Registrations or Certifications:
- Current Louisiana License Phlebotomist Certification or completed application for Louisiana License in Process.
- Current BLS