Assesses, plans, delegates and coordinates the nursing care for assigned patients throughout the scheduled shift according to the plan of care and in collaboration with other members of the health care team.
- Identifies both actual and potential needs/problems through nursing assessment to facilitate an organized and prioritized plan of care.
- Supervises and makes patient care assignments and other unit duties to other members (LPN, Nursing Assistants, UC) of the nursing team. Assignments are based on acuity and staff proficiency.
- Recognizes and responds to emergency situations and life threatening situations appropriately.
- Documents assessment, plan of care, interventions and educational needs of each patient, as well as, documenting the patient/family response to interventions.
- Delivers patient care activities according to standards of Care and Practice.
- Administration of medications and treatments, i.e., initiation and maintenance of IV meds, blood and blood products, hyper-alimentation, epidural analgesia, patient controlled analgesia and chemotherapy.
- Maintains a safe patient and working environment by adhering to infection control and safety policies and procedures.
- Receives physician orders, documents, follows up and evaluates patients' outcomes. Assures that orders are carried out properly per policy.