Under the supervision of the Director of Surgery and with the authority from the Chief Nursing Officer, the Staff Registered Nurse has the responsibility and accountability for planning, delegating and coordinating the provision of nursing care via the nursing process for his/her assigned patients. The RN is responsible for meeting the standards of care and practice and assisting in the management of staff (LPN, ORT/CST, Nursing Assistant, Secretary) and the supplies and equipment in the department. The RN demonstrates professional responsibility and accountability in collaborating with other ancillary departments and members of the health care team to establish and achieve patient goals and maintain high quality patient care. The RN is responsible for preparations for surgery, performs the circulating role and may assist the physician while performing the scrub role. The RN must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care based on the physical, psycho/social, educational, safety and related criteria for the neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric population served. All functions are performed in an ethical and professional manner.
Essential Job Functions:
- The Staff RN plans, delegates and coordinates the nursing care of a specific patient population.
- The RN assesses, plans, implements and evaluates individualized patient care.
- Supervises and makes assignments for LPNs, ORTs/CSTs, and Nursing Assistants and reviews work for accuracy.
- Prepares and administers medications as ordered; supervises the administration of medications supplied to the sterile field.
- Ensures accurate record keeping by completion of all documentation including charge mechanism and transfer of information to specified location.
- Ensures department is prepared for patient care at all times.
- Follows and enforces safety policies and procedures and infection control policies and procedures to maintain a safe environment.
- Recognizes emergency situations and responds appropriately.
- Checks emergency supplies and equipment daily.
- May function in the scrub and/or circulating role in surgery.
- Restocks rooms daily as assigned, notifying appropriate person if low on supplies as appropriate.
- May perform other duties from time to time as assigned by the Director of Surgery of the Chief Nursing Officer.