Position Description – Personal Care Aide / Home Health Aide
A PCA / HHA provides personal care, home management and other related home health supportive services. Our goal is to assist seniors and allow them to continue living in their home environment. The Home Health Aide works under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse and provides care in accordance with the DOH Matrix of permissible and non-permissible activities.
- Successful completion of a NYS DOH approved Personal Care Aide or Home Health Aide training program as demonstrated by a valid Certificate.
- Ability to speak, read and write in English sufficiently to understand and interpret the HHA Plan of Care, document care provided, and able to call the office staff to report any change and/or issues.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide as needed for position
- Ability to apply common sense and understanding to home care situations
- Preparing and serving normal/therapeutic diets
- Assisting with bathing, personal care, and dressing
- Monitoring changes in client’s mental and physical conditions
- Light housekeeping
- Assist clients with self-administered medications
- Take, record and monitor temperature, pulse, respiration, intake/output
- Additional functions permissible under special circumstances
- Maintain and protect client confidentiality
- Participate in company sponsored training and social events including quarterly meetings
- Report hours according to office policy and communicates changes in availability in a timely manner
- May be required to run errands and provide incidental transportation for client using your vehicle or a client’s vehicle (mileage reimbursement is available)
- Perform other reasonable duties as assigned
Client Service and Interpersonal Skills:
- Assists and is supportive of other employees
- Is responsible and cooperative with patients, families, supervisors and fellow employees
- Maintains a friendly working atmosphere
- Maintains positive and productive attitude
- Accepts constructive criticism as evidenced by appropriate changes in behavior
- Utilizes established channels of communication
- Recognizes, accepts and respects people as individuals
- Recognized limitations and seeks assistance appropriately
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects
- Ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel and reach
- Ability and knowledge to handle equipment operations such as walkers, canes, crutches, wheelchairs, commodes, hospital beds, Hoyer lift and various household appliances
Other Essential Job Requirements:
- Successfully complete a criminal background check, DMV check, fingerprinting and pre-employment physical and drug screen
- Provide 3 professional and 3 personal references to be checked
- Possess a valid Driver’s License, valid auto insurance and reliable transportation
- Ability to withstand exposure to dust, mold, mildew, and cleaning solutions
- Ability to treat and care for clients and their property with dignity and respect
- Ability to adapt to various living environments and locations
- Ability to communicate with clients and co-workers in a friendly and congenial manner
In order to ensure that we are meeting the needs of our clients, we conduct periodic unannounced Quality Assurance site visits, and solicit feedback during all phone conversations. A performance appraisal will be conducted annually. Raises are based on Essential Characteristics, client compatibility and feedback, and your own reliability and availability.
This document describes the general nature and level of work for the position. It is not a comprehensive list of its responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts and conditions. Professional Assistance for Seniors, Inc., reserves the right to modify the description in the future with or without notice. The responsibilities for this position are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Your employer is Professional Assistance for Seniors, Inc.
Each Home Instead franchise is independently owned and operated.