PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
The purpose of the role of Social Worker, Behavioral Health, is to assist in identifying, addressing, evaluating, and carrying out plans for behavioral health related needs for patients being treated in the Emergency Department, Medical Surgical Units, Intensive Care Units of BVH and Orchard Hall as needed.
Duty 1: The Social Worker assesses and documents the physical and psychosocial needs of the patient in a timely manner to ensure safe and effective discharge plans.
Duty 2: The Social Worker participates in interdisciplinary rounds and communicates as needed with associates, physicians, and outside referral services to enhance continuity of care.
Duty 3: The Social worker participates in various committees and meetings to contribute information regarding utilization of services and quality of healthcare for the purpose of improving patient care and outcomes, as assigned.
Duty 4: The Social Worker guarantees the safety of patients by reporting suspicions of abuse and neglect to Protective Services.
Duty 5: The Social Worker counsels with patients and families as indicated to present behavioral options toward enhancing life skills.
Duty 6: The Social Worker, on an ongoing basis, helps to maintain accurate information about provider agencies and community resources to better assist with appropriate linkages of patients and families to these services.
Duty 7: The Social Worker implements process improvement determined to continually enhance quality of services provided, as needed.
Duty 8: The Social Worker works on a rotation basis to ensure 24 hour coverage for emergent issues which includes weekends, holidays and on-call.
Duty 9: The Social Worker meets in individual, family/support system, and/or group sessions to facilitate increased understanding of the patient’s treatment needs and coordination of care, as needed.
Duty 10: The Social Worker performs ongoing utilization review of patients admitted to the psychiatric unit to ensure appropriate levels of care and utilization of services are maintained, to avoid penalties, and denials of reimbursement.
Duty 11: The Social Worker documents accordingly to meet regulatory requirements and billing purposes.
Duty 12: The Social Worker provides the above duties throughout the Hospital and Emergency Room as necessary.
- Current license in the State of Ohio as LSW.
- Required to obtain BLS certification after hire if not already certified
- Complete all required trainings (example: ASAM, SBIRT, etc.)
- Individual must demonstrate ability to collaborate with interdisciplinary team, patients, families, and external organizations/agencies in complex problem-solving, and communication and planning
- Individual must be able to use the computer for documentation in the electronic medical record and demonstrate the ability to document in a timely manner
- A valid driver's license is required (if you do not have a valid Ohio driver’s license you must obtain one within one year of your residency in the state) and you must also meet BVHS's company fleet policy requirements
- Positive service-oriented interpersonal and communication skills required
- Individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served on his/her assigned unit/department. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient status.Must be able to interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to their age-specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the area’s policies and procedures
- Current license in the State of Ohio as MSW/LISW/LPCC.
- Healthcare including behavioral health experience
- 2 years working in Behavioral Health
This position requires a full range of body motion with intermittent walking, lifting, bending, climbing, squatting, kneeling, twisting, sitting, and standing. The associate must be able to life ten pounds. The individual must have corrected vision and hearing in the normal range to provide efficient patient care. Individual must have excellent verbal skills to communicate with patients, physicians, and co-workers. The associate must have excellent eye-hand coordination to grasp, push, and pull and have fine finger manipulation.
This position is classified at risk for possible occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens (HBV, HIV, etc.)