With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
The “Site/Regional” Project Delivery Leader will have responsibility for the coordination of projects and resources to deliver capital projects within the assigned region. This role will drive efficiency in the programs, processes, practices and initiatives needed to deliver capital projects. Under the broad direction of the Head of Project delivery, this position partners with key End to End Operations team members, including Site Heads, Network Strategy and the Global Engineering leadership team to:
•Develop plans for projects within approved regional capital project portfolio to ensure realization of the asset strategy to meet objectives.
•Tracks activities of the project managers to ensure business cases for capital projects are realized and delivered at the right cost and the right time--with minimal business impact and optimal sustainability.
•Monitor regional capital projects and escalate/troubleshoot where there are concerns about being delivered on time, within budget and scope, and meeting safety and regulatory standards.
•Manage project leaders to ensure appropriate governance for project approvals, cost, schedule, delivery and strategic partner relationships is being followed.
•Is a contributor to the Engineering Council on key engineering related topics core to the business and identify critical needs where consistent engineering processes and implementation practices are needed to drive organizational effectiveness.
•Active member of Kankakee Leadership team. Helps create an environment that encourages experimentation, innovation and continuous improvement
Under the broad direction of the Head of Project delivery, this position partners with key End to End Operations team members, including Site Heads, Network Strategy and the Global Engineering leadership team to:
• Develop plans for projects within approved regional capital project portfolio to ensure realization of the asset strategy to meet objectives.
• Tracks activities of the project managers to ensure business cases for capital projects are realized and delivered at the right cost and the right time--with minimal business impact and optimal sustainability.
• Monitor regional capital projects and escalate/troubleshoot where there are concerns about being delivered on time, within budget and scope, and meeting safety and regulatory standards.
• Manage project leaders to ensure appropriate governance for project approvals, cost, schedule, delivery and strategic partner relationships is being followed.
• Is a contributor to the Engineering Council on key engineering related topics core to the business and identify critical needs where consistent engineering processes and implementation practices are needed to drive organizational effectiveness.
• Active member of Kankakee Leadership team. Helps create an environment that encourages experimentation, innovation and continuous improvement
1. Provide Project Engineering / Delivery Leadership
- Provide leadership and coordination to the Project Delivery function, to ensure project/programs are delivered on time, on budget and within the specified delivery criteria
- Provide leadership and guidance to project delivery teams to effectively execute capital projects (tier 1, tier 2, tier3) with an overall budget of up to $1B annually
- Manages within the strategic plan and annual OPEX and CAPEX budgets for capital expansion and improvements, consistent with CSL Behring’s global manufacturing strategic and business plans.
- Sets project/program objectives and provide clear direction for execution.
- Ensures all members of the team are proactively working to prevent health and/or safety incidents, minimizing environmental impacts, and maintaining compliance.
- Enable a culture of cross functional collaboration and communications
- Monitors project delivery plans within the site/region; troubleshoots/escalates issues.
- Develop construction safety programs with EHS and our construction partners that develops our site into an industry leader. Promotes on site and globally the importance protecting our employees and partners.
- Develop a site wide permit to work program with site manufacturing directors that ensures manufacturing understands and accepts the risks of working within a live manufacturing space.
- Work with global engineering, unions and EHS lead to develop and update working policy and procedures to ensure the risk of spreading Covid19 is eliminated.
2. Asset & Capital Project Oversight and Capital Project Delivery
- Implements engineering standards that enables effective and efficient capital project delivery
- Implements design specifications ensuring the adoption of Standard Design Platforms within the region.
- Deliver additional capacities for strategic products from design to licensed facility
- Control progress of projects, identify deviations from target with respect to safety, quality, cash flow management, budget, timeline and project scope and initiate countermeasures by means of efficient project controlling and scheduling processes as well as applied and tracked adequate Key Performance Indicators
- Develop and enforce strict adherence to the standardized project engineering process for capital projects as a member in different Steering Committees and challenge proposals to change project scope, budget, timeline and owners team staffing. Escalate discussion if needed to secure efficient ad successful project planning and execution
- Provide contractor & supplier management input to selection criteria in coordination with the Alliance manager
- Implements design standards to apply agile principles and technology advances.
- Develop key capabilities in project management and project controls. Works with Project Controls lead to ensure project management processes are efficient and effective.
3. Leadership of People and Teams
- Builds, develops and manages teams of direct reports or project supported resources
- The position will oversee, develop and retain technical workforce employees within the region. The total workforce will also be comprised of independent contractors and strategic service providers that deliver on the regional CAPEX portfolio.
- Ensure capabilities for delivering future capacities;
- Promotes high employee engagement and a positive work environment.
- Build and sustain employee engagement by creating a culture of efficient execution and an environment in which individuals and teams can excel and continuously improve.
- Working with the global engineering, site leadership and cross function leaders to be an agent for change in Project Delivery model.
- Working with Quality and EHS leaders to develop and implement strategies which transform the site to an industry leader.
- BS Engineering with a preference for expertise in mechanical, electrical, or process engineering. Certifications as a PMP or PE is desirable
- Demonstrated success with at least 10-15yrs experience in Design & Construction & Start-up, in biopharma, life sciences or other highly regulated industry. Strong experience with project/program management and experience managing significant capital budgets (up to $1B), meeting financial targets, and driving cost savings.
- 10+ years’ business experience in progressively more responsible roles. Brings a depth of expertise in design & construction, project management, contacting models and facilities management. At least 10 years leading multi-disciplinary teams and directly managing people. Demonstrated experience leading leaders and organizations with a significant workforce
- Good understanding of c-GMP’s, GEP and EHS&S requirements globally
- Strong project/program leader—able to inspire and motivate teams to make a big impact and deliver their best every day. Must be able to work from a position of influence to project resources. Track record of having the courage to drive change, while balancing risks and pacing for success.
- Outstanding analytical skills and financial acumen: capable of analyzing financial, quantitative and/or qualitative data and translating into high-impact insights and recommendations, particularly in optimizing the delivery of large capital projects.
- Demonstrated success consistently meeting performance metrics.
- Proven leadership organizational and interpersonal skills by demonstrating the following competencies at the executive level
- Travel as necessary to meet the requirements of the role.
- Managerial Courage: Does not hold back anything that needs to be said; provides current, direct, complete, and ‘actionable’ positive and corrective feedback to others; lets people know where they stand; faces up to people problems on any person or situation quickly and directly; is not afraid to take negative action when necessary.
- Business Acumen: Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practice, trends and information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
- Drive for Results/Execution: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Strategic Agility: Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Decision Quality: Makes good decision based upon a mixture analysis, wisdom experience, and judgment; most his /her solution and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Innovation Management: Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can facilitate effective brainstorming; can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace.
- Developing Talent: Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person’s career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; pushes people to accept developmental moves; will take on those who need help and further development; cooperates with the developmental system in the organization; is a people builder.
- Interpersonal Savvy: Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
- Managing Vision and Purpose: Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about possibilities; is optimistic; creates mileposts and symbols to rally support behind the vision; makes the vision sharable by everyone; can inspire and motivate entire units or organizations.
- Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvement in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Organizing: Can marshal resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently.
- Priority Setting: Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
- Negotiation Skills : ability to work into a matrix organization and able to influence and persuade, without having a direct authority
- Communication: ability to dialogue and convey effective message through the organization at different levels and across cultural differences; unbiased.
- Financial Acumen: understand business needs and translates into plans and actions with a clear and measurable value proposition.
- Good understanding of c-GMP’s, GEP and EHS&S requirements globally
- Good understanding of Contracting models and its applicability worldwide.
- Ethical conduct : understanding of owning anti-corruption practices.