Assists surgeon during operative procedures, Cesarean Sections and other procedures. Ensures operative suite is adequately prepared for procedure. Monitors PAR levels of all surgical instruments and supplies. Cleans and prepares for sterilization all surgical instruments.
- Accurately completes operating/delivery room counts (instruments, sponges, needles); follows proper procedure in the event of incorrect count; reports all discrepancies to Circulating RN and surgeon and/or corrects immediately.
- Accurately handles specimens at all times.
- Always maintains an orderly and sterile instrument table for the purpose of efficiency; follows department standard set up.
- Anticipates needs of surgeon during intraoperative phase.
- Assists in positioning, prepping and draping of patients for surgical and other procedures.
- Carries out medical/surgical asepsis during treatments/procedures.
- Checks all equipment/instruments needed, prior to each procedure to ensure proper functioning. Is responsible for cleaning and preparing instruments for sterilization,
- Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures and after last case; restocks supplies, when necessary and organizes effectively for end-of-case clean up.
- Follows aseptic technique, when opening sterile supplies and setting up procedures.
- Performs services requiring technical or manual skills under the direction of Circulating RN in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of errors.