PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
The Surgical Technician prepares and maintains a sterile field during surgical procedures, passes instruments to the surgeon and performs basic level assisting duties. Provide all supplies, equipment and instruments for assigned procedures, can serve as a second circulator, assist in monitoring use and ordering of supplies, function as preceptor, participate in cleaning of rooms, and equipment, and assist in meeting any other department needs.
Duty 1: Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patients served in surgery.
Duty 2: Collaborates with the physician regarding patient condition and treatment plan for the impending surgical procedure.
Duty 3: Complies with organizational policies, procedures, and practices to ensure quality job performance and hospital compliance.
Duty 4: Utilizes supplies in a cost effective manner and actively participates in the daily ordering and stocking of equipment and supplies.
Duty 5: Consistently uses good body mechanics while performing daily duties.
Duty 6: Completes departmental and BVRHC competencies within the specified time frame.
Duty 7: Capable of patient identification, documenting patient care, and completing charges in the role of a second circulator.
Duty 8: Capable of using all patient care equipment and notifying appropriate personnel in the event of a failure.
Duty 9: Skillfully performs scrub role by: constantly maintaining sterile field for all assigned cases, functioning effectively / efficiently in emergency / on-call situations, utilizing universal precautions in all patient care activities, and must be able to independently scrub all surgical cases, done on the Bluffton campus.
Duty10: Flexible to any potential changes in work load or schedule to allow for more efficient patient care.
Duty 11: Actively participates with intradepartmental meetings and in-services, reviews minutes, and keeps self-informed of any changes within the department.
- Graduate of a Surgical Technician school
- Certified in the state of Ohio
- Surgery experience
- BCLS certified
- Continuing education to remain competent in current standards of practice.
- Positive service-oriented interpersonal and communication skills required.
- This position requires On-call duties which would require that you arrive at the facility within 30 minutes after being contacted by hospital personnel.
- Individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served on his/her assigned unit/department. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient status. Must be able to interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to their age-specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the area’s policies and procedures
This position requires a full range of body motion with intermittent activities in sitting, walking, lifting, bending, squatting, climbing, kneeling, twisting and standing. The associate must be able to lift 50 pounds. The individual must have excellent eye/hand coordination with the ability to grasp, push and pull, finger dexterity and fine manipulation. The associate must be able to reach work above the shoulder, and be able to use foot controls. This position requires corrected vision and hearing in the normal range. The associate must have excellent verbal skills to communicate with patients, physicians, and co-workers.
This position is classified at risk for possible occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens (HBV, HIV, etc.)