About Candor Short-Term Residential
Eckerd Connects' Short-Term Juvenile Justice Residential program is a complete rehabilitative experience delivered in 4 to 6 months to 36 adjudicated male youth, ages 13 to 17, referred by the North Carolina Department of Public Safety Division of Juvenile Justice. This residential treatment concept combines promising and evidence-based practices with a strong family transition component, and signifies a public-private partnership with the Division of Juvenile Justice which has produced an innovative shift in the way youth are served in North Carolina's juvenile justice system. Intensive, short-term services include individualized treatment and academic plans that combine formal and experiential education, community service, behavioral health, and family counseling in a non-punitive environment designed to address the youth's behavioral challenges through a strength-based approach. Youth also receive accredited education on-site and work together in small group settings with assigned counselors.
Please follow the links for more information about this program:
A positive, supportive role model who guides and influences group activities on a consistent basis that enhances the youth's confidence and self-esteem. Youth Counselors ensure the progress and welfare of each client and the group through therapeutic programs. Responsible for staff secure supervision during the afternoon, evening, and sleeping hours.
- Responsible for the overall supervision of clients to ensure the safety and security of all youth and staff. This supervision may include overnight/awake supervision of youth.
- Ensure the physical presence and safety of youth by observing them at frequent, unpredictable intervals set by management and relevant policies.
- Notify the appropriate facility staff and supervisor immediately upon observation of anything out of the ordinary, and carry out all instructions given by the staff and/or supervisor.
- Lead group of youth through a variety of daily activities while providing group and individual counseling, with an emphasis on strength-based development; Maintain a high standard of successful role modeling for youth that reflects enthusiasm, creativity, flexibility and activities that are educational and engaging.
- Ensure balanced activities for all levels of involvement of youth based on capabilities.
- Ensure successful development of the youth through rational living cognitive behavioral therapy to help youth define their life goals and then help them achieve those goals-pointing out thinking errors and faulty cognition's along the way.
- Provide feedback, growth experiences, and recognition for youth to enhance confidence and self-esteem.
- Participate in staffing meetings with, Direct Care Supervisors, Senior Counselor/Teacher , Director of Programming, Lead Teacher and others.
- Submit written evaluations as scheduled on all individuals and groups ensuring documentation and communication is shared at all levels of program involvement.
- Demonstrate both sensitivity and responsiveness to the cultural differences within the client population.
- Immediately notify the Direct Care Supervisor of any intruders, property damage, or unsafe acts or conditions.
- May oversee in the self administration of medications required by youth in care pursuant to Eckerd policy on Medication Administration and appropriate training.
Education: Two years of college in a social or human service field or a high school diploma or equivalent with a minimum of two years’ prior experience working with youth is required. Bachelor’s degree, from an accredited College or University, in social or behavioral services or outdoor recreation specialties preferred.
Experience: Direct child care in a therapeutic/rehabilitative setting preferred. Experience in outdoor recreation preferred.
Skills: Group leadership, communication, self-motivated, level headed, objective, flexible. Knowledge of group dynamics and experiential education preferred. Ability to complete job-related training and have satisfactory evaluation at conclusion of 90 day probationary period.
Physical Demands: Ability to travel about property, through wilderness terrain. Must be able to pass evaluation of crisis intervention/physical restraint techniques and written certification exam, and use approved techniques as needed. Must be able to participate in aquatic activities. Ability to stand, sit or walk for extended periods of time. Constant exposure to outdoors and/or weather conditions. Must have near and far visual acuity, any deficiencies of which must be able to be mitigated with corrective lenses. Responsible for the overall supervision and safety of clients. Supervision may include shift work. Ability to frequently lift/move up to 25 pounds. Ability to transport clients and staff. Must be free of communicable diseases as defined by the appropriate state and to the extent that data is attainable under federal law.
Other: Must meet state criminal background check requirements.
Travel: Must be able to meet requirements for Eckerd’s Auto Insurance and be able to drive for business purposes. Valid and appropriate driver’s license or state identification is required. Position may require incumbent to drive. Employee must obtain valid driver’s license or state identification in the state in which they are employed within 90 days of hire.
Eckerd wants your career to be as rewarding as possible. We provide our employees with numerous opportunities for growth, education, advancement, and the chance to contribute to business objectives. We offer competitive salaries and an excellent comprehensive benefits package including:
• Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
• Group Term Life and AD&D Insurance
• Voluntary term life insurance
• Paid short-term and long-term disability
• Professional group liability insurance
• 19 days of Paid Time Off the first year
• 8 paid holidays
• Flexible spending accounts
• Retirement savings plan with employer match up to 5%
• Mileage reimbursement
• Cell phone plan discounts
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Employee Referral Program
• Flexible work schedules